Second Son takes place in Seattle, with the map being split into two large islands, which are further split into a total of 13 districts. While you will be restricted to the first island for about half of the game, you will be granted access later on in the story. There is a large DUP presence in each of the districts, which is represented by a percentage value.
That’s where the collectibles and side missions come into play. As you finish and collect the side missions and collectibles, the percentage will decrease, until you get it to 0% and wipe the DUP presence from that district.
All of the collectibles and side missions are shown on the map, with each one having its own icon. The types of collectibles and side missions are:
- Mobile Command: This functions similar to a base, with the DUP having at least one in each district. You must destroy the vents to overheat it, then jump on top and destroy the core. Designated as a square symbol with DUP on it.
- Scanning Station: These are used to scan people and determine whether they are a Conduit or not. Simply shooting these will destroy them, after which they yield a Blast Shard. Designated by a hand symbol.
- Security Camera: Usually hanging on a wall and will alert the DUP if you’re in its line of sight. A few normal shots will destroy them. Designated as a camera on the map.
- Jammer: Will black out your map and minimap if in range. Shooting or stronger attacks will easily destroy them. Designated as a satellite dish on the map.
- Tracker Drone: These fly around and don’t really do anything, although they house Blast Shards. A few shots will easily down them. Designated as a blue dot on the map.
- Secret Agent: A DUP agent is disguised as a civilian and you need to hunt them down. Shown as a man with a hat icon.
- Hidden Camera: These are hidden somewhere in the general vicinity, but do not alert the DUP of your presence. You need to find them and shoot to destroy them. Designated as a camera symbol in a square.
- Audio Log: You must track down an audio device that provides some backstory. Designated as a folder icon.
- Stencil Art: You will spray paint a piece of art on the wall or something similar, with Good and Evil Karma options. Shown as a spraypaint can icon.